Vietnam unveils plan to revitalise economy

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Sun Jul 7 11:36:27 PDT 2002

They need some perestroika there in the polity and civil society.

Anyone really believe that only 10% or so of the Vietmese people voted for non-CP candidates or those in it'ss national unity umbrella front? http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/2002/05/26/news/world/3342251.h tm

Things like the above make me want to supplement books on the Vietnam War I've read like those by Frances Fitzgerald, Gabriel Kolko, Joseph Butting, Lloyd Gardner, Marilyn B. Young, Daniel Ellsberg ("Papers on the War, " where he thanks Monthly Review.), George T. McKahin with books like, "Vietnam Under Communism, " from a Vietnamese exile published by the Hoover Institution, the memoir of a former NLF official co-written w/David Chanoff and < "Cruel April, " by Oliver Todd on the liberation and it's aftermath.

I've read that 100,000 were killed after '75 by the victorious regime. My quibble isn't that the Vietnamese, under the leadership of the NLF (quickly shunted aside by the North Vietnamese CP leadership after the war was over) and CP should not have defeated the USG and it's South Vietnamese lackeys. Not at all. But, radicals post '75 have paid nada attn. to Vietnam, just as they lost attn. in Nicaragua after the FSLN was defeated and El Salvador after the FDR-FMLN signed peace agreements and re-entered the electoral process. How many know that there are large swaths of El Salvador that have FMLN Mayors? I'm on the CISPES list of their chapter here. They took weeks to acknowledge their victories of a few yrs. ago. Guess, gueriila warfare is sexier. http://mindred.com/aim/march/nation2.htm Michael Pugliese