Blood and Soil (Nazi "Greens")

Jeffrey Fisher jfisher at igc.org
Sun Jul 7 11:49:55 PDT 2002

On Sunday, July 7, 2002, at 12:47 PM, Michael Pugliese wrote:

> <snip>

> This at the end was an amazingly insensitive statement>...A quote
> from PETA founder Ingrid Newkirk (Washington Post, November 13,
> 1983), shows how far a biocentric view can lead to moral relativism
> and
> disregard for human suffering: "Six million Jews died in
> concentration camps, but six billion broiler chickens will die this
> year in
> slaughter houses."

chickens are not sentient and so, frankly, not the best example, imo. but that's an arcane debate and not of interest to most on this list, i suspect, except insofar as michael p and james heartfield might team up to smear animal rights activists.

> Not that I approve of cruelty to animals but

what do you consider cruelty and what not?

> how do radical animal
> rights activists think most animals survive?

mostly they eat plants. primates like gorillas and orangutans eat diets consisting almost entirely of plant matter. other primates, like chimps, are, i believe, "opportunist" carnivores: they will eat meat if it is available and they are hungry. don't know about bonobo diets in the wild off the top of my head.

> Aside from eating plants,
> do not most animals kill other animals?

you want to go hunt for your food? cheetahs don't build big barns to raise their zebra or gazelle meat in, either. although one is reminded of the old "Far Side" cartoon, "vending machines of the serengeti"--you'll remember it if you saw it.

> Is there a movement among the
> four legged animal community to stop this?

is that a rhetorical question?

most animals just eat. we think about it. maybe we shouldn't, but the moral burdens are different for humans than for, say, a lion. unless you want to argue that they're not. be my guest.

> Michael Pugliese,
> Cadre in Two Legged Oppressors United For Carnitas Cosumption
>
> http://www.techcentralstation.be/2051/wrapper.jsp?PID=2051-100&CID=
> 2051-070202A

the attached article struck me frankly as a barely coherent mishmash of cross-referenced associations. not worth attempting to address in detail, imo.

jeff