FW: OCCUPATION at Pioneer Theater

Liza Featherstone lfeather32 at erols.com
Sun Jul 7 16:02:12 PDT 2002

Love to see any NYC LBO-types at this event.

Also, we have a great flyer/poster. if anyone would like to put it up or distribute it at their workplace or wherever, let me know offlist and I'll send you the PDF

xoxo Liza

----------

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< www.enmassefilms.org >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

____ _____ _____ _ _ _____ _______ _____ ____ _ _

/ __ \ / ____/ ____| | | | __ \ /\|__ __|_ _/ __ \| \ | |

| | | | | | | | | | | |__) / \ | | | || | | | \| |

| | | | | | | | | | | ___/ /\ \ | | | || | | | . ` |

| |__| | |___| |____| |__| | | / ____ \| | _| || |__| | |\ |

\____/ \_____\_____|\____/|_| /_/ \_\_| |_____\____/|_| \_|

a film about the Harvard Living Wage Campaign's Sit-in

directed by Maple Razsa and Pacho Velez

narrated by Ben Affleck

Join Harvard Students and the Directors at the following event in NYC

when: WEDNESDAY, JULY 10 through SUNDAY, JULY 14 6:40 PM

where: PIONEER THEATER, 155 E 3rd Street (at Ave A)

(212)254-3300, www.twoboots.com/pioneer

cost: $8.50 Adults, $6 Students/Seniors. All proceeds to

student organizing

A B O U T T H E F I L M :

Last April, 48 members of the Harvard Living Wage Campaign stormed the university's main administration building to protest Harvard's labor policies and demand wage increases and benefits for the schools lowest paid workers. After 21 days of rallies, civil disobedience, and community organizing by workers, unions, students, and faculty, the University agreed to substantive improvements in working conditions. Making use of student footage shot before and during the sit-in as well as news coverage, archival footage, and worker portraits, Occupation follows the story of the Living Wage Campaign and the longest sit-in in Harvard history. The documentary links the schools labor policies to those of the corporate executives that run it and gives special attention to the effects of low wages on workers and their families.

The screening will also launch the book Students Against Sweatshops, just published by Verso (versobooks.com), by Liza Featherstone and United Students Against Sweatshops. Contributors will speak at the event.

W H A T T H E C R I T I C S A R E S A Y I N G :

"The inspiring story of the Living Wage campaign at Harvard should be told to the whole country, so it is a wonderful gift to have it on film, in a way that brings alive the remarkable solidarity of students, workers, and the community." Howard Zinn

"Those who are earning Harvard degrees took a moral stand against growing inequality and in doing so created what will become an important milestone in the 21st century fight for economic justice." John Sweeney, President AFL-CIO, The Guardian (London), May 29, 2001

"Unabashed agit-prop." Gerald Peary, Boston Pheonix

ALSO SHOWING AT PIONEER: Presumed Guilty, a film about public defenders, 8pm