High Stakes

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 7 21:48:20 PDT 2002

>This was perfectly captured when Sun bought Forte (the company I worked
>for) a few years ago. Great fanfare, champagne brunches, and all the mucky
>mucks from Sun drove over to Oakland to address their new hires. In
>response to the question as to whether the Forte people were going to be
>laid off, Ed Zander (then CEO of SUN) beamed back at us and exclaimed: "Of
>course not! We bought YOU!!! We bought the intellectual capital." A
>somewhat awkward silence followed during which all the "middle class"
>people inwardly asked themselves whether they were relieved or concerned
>that they had just been "sold" and "bought." Classic epiphany time, what
>can I say?
>
>Cheers,

Or maybe your co=workers were reflecting on Joan Robinson's quip that under capitalism, the only thing worse than being exploited is not being exploited, i.e., being unemployed.

jks

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx