Primates hunting, chimps vs bonobos

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Jul 8 09:13:36 PDT 2002

I don't know whether the intent of (some) posters on this thread is to provide a nutritional basis for a vegetarian politics or not, but if so I suspect that vegetarianism is impossible for humans on geographical and ecological grounds (though a heavy reduction in meat consumption is probably called for on the same grounds).

Consider the great plains. The grain grown there is mostly for animal feed -- and that must stop. But growing grain _at all_ must stop also. The only ecologically sound use of the great plains is for pasture. Therefore the only food fit for human consumption that the great plains can produce is meat from animals capable of transforming the protein found in grass to protein available for human consumption.

There are areas of Australia which, for ecological reasons, should produce only goats, chickens, etc.

Vegetarianism can never be a possible diet for the bulk of the human species but remain an option only for scattered inividuals.

Carrol