Hi from Estonia

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 9 00:54:58 PDT 2002

I met some working class Estonians a while ago -- a couple spoke a smatttering of Russian from their days in the Red Army, so they could interpret, but the rest spoke Estonian and only Estonian. What is it like to speak a language spoken by only a million people? I would think that would have some impact on your world view.

The Estonians call themselves the Eesti, by the way -- the same name Tacitus gave to the tribes east of the Germans.

Almost half of the people in Estonia arent even Estonian, but Russians who moved here during the Sovier era. Most people speak Russian, which works out well for me!