Primates hunting, chimps vs bonobos

Jeffrey Fisher jfisher at igc.org
Tue Jul 9 08:05:13 PDT 2002

on 7/9/02 2:08 PM, billbartlett at dodo.com.au wrote:

> At 11:13 AM -0500 8/7/02, Carrol Cox wrote:
>
>> There are areas of Australia which, for ecological reasons, should
>> produce only goats, chickens, etc.
>
> Not goats - wallabies. Goats are a menace in Australia, ecologically.
> Wallabies on the other hand are extremely efficient at converting pasture to
> protein. The meat is also extremely lean.

personally, i like the specificity of "for ecological reasons."

i also love the efficient aspects of animal life. no moral issues, all efficiency.

> Love your argument that vegetarianism is environmentally unsound.

yeah, those indians have ruined their environment by not eating cows for . . . how many thousands of years?

of course, even were i to grant this argument, it would not address the moral issues. turning the great plains back into pastureland doesn't mean we have to eat whatever grazes on it.

finally, "vegetarianism" is a slippery term and can mean a number of things, including still eating fish (or even just crustaceans) and poultry.

more on this later . . .

-- jeff fisher

"I've come to the conclusion that revolutions aren't profitable." - Kevin Kelly, new economy guru