Dog bites man

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 9 12:08:16 PDT 2002

[From today's Wall Street Journal]

... Some Democrats Fear Censuring Businesses May Haunt Party

... "You can't be pro-jobs and antibusiness," says Sen. Joseph Lieberman of Connecticut, a 2004 Democratic presidential prospect who was Al Gore's 2000 running mate. The party's approach to business, he adds, should be to "keep it honest but not to strangle it."

As an example of that approach, Sen. Lieberman says Democratic moderates should oppose pending proposals that would require companies to account for stock options as business expenses. The change, he warns, might choke off stock-option grants benefiting middle-income workers....

"We've got to be careful," notes Al From, a prominent New Democrat and chairman of the moderate Democratic Leadership Council. "Over the long haul, the Democratic Party is not going to make its mark by telling people we're against bad people in business...."

Carl