PIMCO quotes Minsky

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Wed Jul 10 16:04:45 PDT 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bradford DeLong" <jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu>

> Well, Ben Bernanke and Mark Gertler have made their careers on
what I
> interpret as teched-up Minskyism (albeit without citing him, or
> without citing him much). But that's not a unique sin: I
remember
> once cornering Stiglitz and asking him why his efficiency-wage
stuff
> didn't cite Bowles (whose earlier efficiency-wage stuff was
expressly
> put forward as a formalization of Marx's "reserve army of the
> unemployed"; he seemed not the most comfortable of campers).

Imagine the feeling cyberneticists and epistemologists and learning theorists would have if they read Stiglitz' outrageous claim "I developed the concept of 'learning to learn' and its implications for economic growth in (Stiglitz, 1987) --referring to his "Learning to Learn, Localized Learning and Technological Progress" in Economic Policy and Technological Performance" ed. by Partha Dasgupta and Paul Stoneman.

Gregory Bateson*, author of "Social Planning and the Concept of Deutero Learning" (1942) as well as the co-originator of the Double Bind and it's relation to the former would knock Stiglitz out for such rampant plagiarism. Don't economists read outside their "discipline" at all?!

Ian

Essays are in "Steps to an Ecology of Mind"