"the Cheney question"

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Thu Jul 11 23:57:51 PDT 2002

Many would sympathise with Chuck's reaction, and his warning about an attack on Iraq, but I think his comments underestimate the extent to which the leaders of US society are going to have to bring in reforms. They are scrambling over this, and the consequential implications of different proposals are not clear to them.

The worst scenario for them is that Cheney is not actually a crook, but a hard player according to inherently unstable rules.

The scrambled debates, despite themselves, pose the question of how corporate capitalism can be shown to deserve social trust. That is a short step away from how it can be socially responsible and be guided by social foresight.

Chris Burford