Bush strikes back with Golden Rule

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 12 03:59:03 PDT 2002

[Priceless. I suspect the next uplifting quote we can expect from GWB is "Judge not, that ye be not judged." From the NY Times.]

Some in G.O.P. Moving Past Bush on Business Fraud

By Richard A. Oppel Jr.

WASHINGTON, July 11 - In the clearest sign thus far that Republican Congressional leaders are moving far beyond the White House in supporting stiff penalties for corporate wrongdoing, House Speaker J. Dennis Hastert endorsed a Senate proposal today that called for tough new criminal sanctions and expanded prison terms....

In Minneapolis today, Mr. Bush seemed to display some impatience over the attention that was being paid to the [corporate corruption] issue. He spoke about the way he believes that the attack on the World Trade Center had changed the way Americans viewed their lives.

"I believe people have taken a step back and asked, 'What's important in life?' " Mr. Bush said. "You know, the bottom line and this corporate America stuff, is that important? Or is serving your neighbor, loving your neighbor like you'd like to be loved yourself?"

[http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/12/business/12SENA.html]

Carl