Cuba

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Fri Jul 12 10:45:55 PDT 2002

At 12:27 PM 07/12/2002 -0400, Doug wrote:
>Unambiguous dismissal isn't much better than unambiguous embrace. The
>Cuban revolution can claim some real achievements in education,
>health, and the provision of basic goods - their social stats are
>closer to those of the U.S. than those of the Dominican Republic. But
>it all comes at a high cost - political and cultural repression. I
>guess what I'd conclude from this is that as long as the U.S. remains
>fully fanged, this is the best a poor country can do. So we've got to
>get down to business & defang the U.S.!

Thanks Doug.

I spent the happiest years of my life in a three room "house" with no indoor plumbing, a hole in the ground for a toilet, no refrigerator, no TV. (Bucharest, Romania, my grandparents' house.)

There's a great deal to be said for refrigerators and washing machines. I know there are problems in Cuba, but I don't think the answer is capitalism and the "free market" -- I don't know enough about Cuba to know whether a more thorough going revolution from below is possible right now. But I think for us the battle ground is in the U.S. as Doug suggests.

Joanna