Cuba

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 12 11:40:20 PDT 2002

But my argument is that any
>country taking a path that doesn't please the U.S. is shoved in an
>authoritarian direction because of the U.S.'s propensity to subvert
>and overthrow regimes it doesn't like. And I've yet to hear a
>credible nonauthoritarian way of defending a revolution against
>Langley.
>
>Doug

Exactly. Often, I think, people try to judge countries, policies, what have you, based on an idealistic, pie in the sky notion that ends never, ever justify the means, or not taking into account wider exigencies.

To take a hypothetical example (I am no means endorsing its appropriateness). China is a horrible, oppressive regime. If, however, I could be persuaded the only option was a USSR-style collapse into anarchy and poverty, or civil war, you had better believe I would be waving aroung pictures of Ziang Zemin.

In the case of Cuba, what do you want? Moderately benevolent dictatorship or Third World squallor? Those are the only realistic choices.