Cuba

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jul 12 12:36:33 PDT 2002

Michael Pugliese wrote:

>Cuba
>$1,669
>$18,600
>11,141,997
>96%
>.046%
>GDP
>Population
>Literacy
>% of World GDP
>Haiti
>$1,340
>$9,200
>6,867,995
>45%
>.023%
>http://www.bartleby.com/151/a64.html
>http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/fields/gdp_-
>_per_capita.html (Heh, Yoshie has cited the CIA World Fact Book
>before!)
>Haiti: purchasing power parity - $1,800 (2000 est.)
>Cuba: purchasing power parity - $1,700 (2000 est.)

That's a barely comprehensible mishmash you've perpetrated there.

Comparing two such different countries using PPP GDP per capita is pretty mystical. Here's the proof of the pudding:

LIFE EXPECTANCY AT BIRTH, 1999

all female male Cuba 76.3 78.3 74.4 Haiti 53.4 55.8 51.1 U.S. 76.7 79.4 73.9

white 77.3 79.9 74.6

black 71.4 74.7 67.8

If you accept the nonsensical assertion that Cuba and Haiti have roughly equivlaent incomes, then that 20+-year gap in life expectancies is remarkable.

If I'm reading your mishmash right, Cuba has almost universal literacy, while fewer than half of Haitians can read. That's pretty remarkable too, no?

Doug