PIMCO quotes Minsky

Bradford DeLong jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu
Fri Jul 12 13:56:53 PDT 2002

>Brad wrote:
>
>> High Keynesianism: Weirdness about how attempts to pierce the veil of
>> time and ignorance involve not risk but Knightian uncertainty, and
>> about how the theory of aggregate demand needs to be connected with
>> Sraffian insights into the pricing of commodities produced by means
>> of commodities. I have some High Keynesian leanings myself (the first
>> branch, not the second branch), although I prefer to express them in
>> the Shleifer-Vishny "limits to arbitrage" and "inefficient markets"
>> language, rather than in the Davidsonian language that I have a hard
>> time understanding.
>
>For what are ultimately ontologically based epistemological reasons, Keynes
>claimed that the long run economic future is often unknowable so that where
>the most important consequences of present decisions will be long run - as
>in decisions concerning the accumulation of wealth - decisions frequently
>cannot rationally be based on forecasting consequences.
>
>This idea of "uncertainty" looks weird to the kind of personality
>psychologically unable to face such uncertainty. This is a personality
>lacking the ego maturity and strength required for what Keats called
>"negative capability." Such a personality will be characterized by
>unmastered persecutory anxiety and will defend itself against this by, among
>other things, denying facts that provoke it. Keynes's kind of uncertainty
>is one such fact. This personality will also be dominated by greed...

You see what I mean?

People who express allegiance to the "Knightian uncertainty" branch of post-Keynesian often seem to have completely and totally lost their minds. Not only are their economic arguments *very* hard to understand, but they are accompanied by jumps in mental logic that are totally unfathomable...

Brad DeLong