Fwd: Cuba

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Jul 13 07:43:10 PDT 2002

[sent to me rather than list]

From: Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema <crdbronx at erols.com> To: "LBO-TALK" <owner-lbo-talk-digest at lists.panix.com> Subject: Cuba Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 18:12:45 -0400 MIME-Version: 1.0 X-Priority: 3 (Normal) X-MSMail-Priority: Normal Importance: Normal X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2600.0000

Couldn't we consider reserving the word "AUTHORITARIAN" for the kind of mass psychological analysis for which we are indebted to the Frankfurt School? How about discussing Cuba's issues as "deficiencies in civil liberties," or "defects in representative democracy?" These would seem to have the merit of greater specificity. Also, if we use such terminology we might be able to talk more usefully about which of Cuba's features are unfortunate adaptations to external threats and which are just unfortunate.

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema