SA Affimative Action

pms laflame at aaahawk.com
Sat Jul 13 08:19:07 PDT 2002

Thanks Patrick. That's what I assumed. Since I wrote that post however I've found that some of our local civil rights leaders are big Khumalo fans. I was speaking to the head guy of one org last week, he was talking about the US not giving Khumolo a visa and I mentioned that the SA mining stocks had gotten their pep back right after the story was published saying that Khumolo's participation would satisfy the new law and he immediately had to take a phone call. I smell a big capitalist rat, this one happens to be black for a change.

By the way, did you hear anything about when the CEO from Durbin Deep was blocked from coming back into the country? Sounded like the old good ole boy on the BOD was trying to regain control from the new neo-liberal good ole boy with the help of old connections. But the SA guv intervened, making DROOY investors happy. What's the situation with the miners? I know they were trying to get large increases in living allowance and that the US investors thought this was just disgraceful. I get the feeling that the whole scenerio of whites coming to Africa to steal gold is happening again only this time through securitization and M&A, after the gold price had been driven down below the cost of production.. I've read remarks from Australia also complaining that all the Aussie companies are becoming foriegn owned, US and Canadian co's. Thanks Paula ----- Original Message ----- From: Patrick Bond <pbond at sn.apc.org> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Saturday, July 13, 2002 4:49 AM Subject: Re: SA Affimative Action