Cuba/Re: why the left is so hopeless in AmeriKKKa

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Jul 13 11:01:42 PDT 2002

Chris Doss wrote:

> Cannot one like Sam Farber, in New Politics, say that Cuban life
> expectancy and other social indicators co-exist with a
> stagnant/repressive polity and suppression of civil society? New
> Politics is a leftist journal, no? ;-)
>
> I have yet to see anyone here argue that Cuba is not a repressive state. The
> argument is that it is impossible (or very, very difficult) for it to be
> otherwise.

No one has given any concrete argument either way on the repressiveness of the Cuban state. Has anyone answered my query as to the proportion of citizens killed by state action in Cuba & the U.S. each year? I would add, what proportion of citizens (in Cuba and the U.S.) are (a) seriously damaged physically or psychologically each year by the exercise of state power and (b) what proportion of citizens in each (Cuba & the & the U.S.) are denied gainful employment on the grounds of past felonies?

Are the most oppressed Cubans more or less free than the mass of black or latino inhabitants of Chicago?

Carrol