Cuba/Re: why the left is so hopeless in AmeriKKKa

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Jul 13 12:59:42 PDT 2002

Doug Henwood wrote:

> JCWisc at aol.com wrote:
>
> >Call it the _Dissent_ syndrome.
>
> A periodical which, I hear, is on its deathbed. No money, dwindling
> staff. Becoming the battle mag of the anti-Chomsky left seems not to
> have worked as the new mission for the new millennium.

Back in the early '50s I subscribed to a new magazine, called _The Reporter_, operated by Max Ascoli, a refugee from Italian fascism whose wealthy wife supported the magazine. At the time and well into the early '60s I thought it was a wonderful magazine. At one time it and CR were the only magazines I subscribed too. As the Vietnam War warmed up, the _Reporter_ became increasingly shrill in its pounding the war drums. I let my subscription drop, and apparently a lot of others did too -- it went out of business. One of its chief editors, I forget his name and his official title, got some kind of post in the LBJ administration.

Conservative journals self-proclaimed as progressive or "left" are not very stable.

Carrol