Cop Watching is Illegal

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 13 20:18:45 PDT 2002

>Jeez, Justin. Petty theft not bailable if there's a prior? That's
>shocking. And "three strikes' laws? And the range of maxi-maxi
>conditions now routinely applied in US and state prisons that amount to
>torture under international law? What will it take to shock you? How do
>you think the US has managed to build the gulag that makes it the Number
>One Prison State (by percentage of population imprisoned) in the world?
>
>john mage

I didn't say it wasn't shocking. I said that denial of bail isn't the same thing as denial of of trial. Given that I'm a fanatical, fundamentalist civil libertarian, whose political work these days mainly around the civil liberties consequences of 9/11, as you know, what one earth would make you think that the tendencies you describe aren't shocking to me? It's because I'm a liberal democrat that I find them shocking.

jks

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx