Bipartisan notice that barn door is open. Pony out of sight

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Sun Jul 14 00:41:15 PDT 2002

I suppose it wasn't clear why I was dazed and confused by this report. I think my difficulty centered on the idea that China `captured' US hi-tech manufacturing capacity. I thought I remembered, the US pushed virtually every conceivable hi-tech fabrication system we could into China for the last twenty years, to `capture' their cheaper labor, cheaper materials, zero environmental regulation, and cheaper production costs.

So, how is it that we are shocked, that most of our hi-tech sector is produced in China? I thought that was the idea.

But, I forgot. Everything's changed since 9/11. Yeah, that's the ticket. That must be it. China stole our hi-tech sector and now cynically sells it back to us. Sure, that's the way it works. Sorry about that. I feel much better now that I can see it all more clearly. Gosh. What would I do without Congress to straighten me out?

I get it. The barn door has finally opened and now I remember distinctly, yes, there was a pony. I am sure of it. Those sneaky bastards. Where's that pony?

Chuck Grimes