exile

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Sun Jul 14 16:51:11 PDT 2002

On Sun, 14 Jul 2002, joanna bujes wrote:

> People move out of desperation. And, it depends on the class. The middle
> class sometimes moves where there's money: programmers from Asia for
> example, but I have lived through emigration and I have to say that it is
> one of the most traumatic moves you can imagine.

It's one of many traumas in the total system, but not the only one; the trauma of provincialization and underdevelopment is pretty atrocious, too.

> As John Donne put it, "Solitude is a torment not threatened in hell itself."

Which is an argument against the existence of hell, but not against solitude. Loneliness is the dawning intuition of freedom, the moment where we begin to sense how fragile our communities really are, in the face of the fearsome violence of the totality: how little life is really lived, amidst the machinery of accumulation.

-- Dennis