Bribery in Russia (street poll)

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 15 07:07:40 PDT 2002

I like the future tax cop.

This article was published in The Russia Journal ISSUE No.25 (168), DATE: 2002-07-05

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- RJ STREET POLL: What would you do if you were offered a bribe?

By DMITRY BULGAKOV / The Russia Journal --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VLADIMIR CHERNY, ENGINEER

Unfortunately, I think many of my friends would take a bribe. And low wages are responsible for that. Some bribes are a kind of additional wage for them. Some people simply cannot live on their official salaries, so, pathetically, they take bribes to supplement their humble wages.

DMITRY VDOVIN, TAX-POLICE STUDENT

I would take a bribe if I were offered one. And, frankly, I don’t see why I should feel bad about it. Please tell me, who doesn’t take them? Though I’d rather ignore small bribes and welcome the larger ones. Of course, it depends on the reason for the bribe, and what I would have to do for it.

IRINA STINCHKUM, MASSEUSE

If you define a bribe as a box of chocolate or bouquet of flowers, I would have to tell you that I would take them. If it’s about governmental affairs, state secrets or unfair competition, than I oppose any bribes at any level. I think that bribes in the shape of gifts to teachers and doctors for additional services are justified.

I think the reason for bribes lies largely with the low official wages of all state officials. If salaries were decent, and if they were regularly paid without arrears, I bet corruption would decline. For me, 6,000 rubles is enough to live and work without the need to take bribes.

It depends on how much the bribe is and on the seriousness of the consequences. If it might help avoid punishment, that’s one thing. Though I have a conscience, and if I feel the consequences of my bribe would be really harmful, then I wouldn’t act against my conscience. A lot also depends on the individual person and his ethics. My father never takes bribes. But it’s not a one-sided story: We also give bribes. It’s also very bad. Nearly everyone gives bribes to the GBDD (traffic police) and to quickly obtain foreign passports. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- IRINA OVCHINNIKOVA, MARKETING MANAGER

I think that bribes are eternal. People have always taken bribes, and they will always take them, regardless of salaries. If a bribe is huge, even a well-paid official will not refuse it. However, we should not tolerate it, and we should fight corruption. It’s very important. If you’re asking about me, a salary of more than $1,000 per month allows me to avoid the temptation to take bribes.