Cop Watching is Illegal

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 15 07:46:23 PDT 2002

>Justin wrote:
>>...From a legal point of view, however, pretrial deterntion is never
>>punishment, since the law says a pretrial detainee is presumed innocent...
>
>"Then the law, sir, is an ass" (Barkis)

OK, so what's your proposal for making sure that the accused shows up for trial? I suppose at this point we could install electronic anklets so that the cops could pick you up if you didn't show. And what about people accused of horrible violent crimes, including those caught red-handed pumping bullets into their victims? Would you feel happy saying, well, sir, you're presumed innocent, so please show up for your capital trial (or, in a civilized society) your trial for life imprisonment, happily for you due process prohibits pretrial detention, so we'll just have to hope you don't kill anyone else before your trial, and that you dos how up.

Sheesh, sometimes I think being on the left turns your brains to oatmeal. I'd like you to meet some of our defendants: the 6'5%" bank robber whose prior involved boddy slamming his 5'2" ex girlfriend on an asphalt parking lot; the Gangster Disciple who beat people up for his pals' crack operations and used minors to (as he hoped) avois criminal liability for hso own activities' the rich businessman who ebaded million in taxes--oh, I forget, he's a rich white tax evader, so there;s no presumption of innocence for people like that . . . .

jks

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx