Citizen Spys

Joe R. Golowka joeG at ieee.org
Mon Jul 15 22:14:18 PDT 2002

> The Terrorism Information and Prevention System, or TIPS, means the US will
> have a higher percentage of citizen informants than the former East Germany
> through the infamous Stasi secret police. The program would use a minimum of
> 4 per cent of Americans to report "suspicious activity".
>
> Civil liberties groups have already warned that, with the passage earlier
> this year of the Patriot Act, there is potential for abusive, large-scale
> investigations of US citizens.
>
> As with the Patriot Act, TIPS is being pursued as part of the so-called war
> against terrorism. It is a Department of Justice project.
>
> Highlighting the scope of the surveillance network, TIPS volunteers are
> being recruited primarily from among those whose work provides access to
> homes, businesses or transport systems. Letter carriers, utility employees,
> truck drivers and train conductors are among those named as targeted
> recruits.
<snip>
> Present Justice Department procedures mean that informant reports will enter
> databases for future reference and/or action. The information will then be
> broadly available within the department, related agencies and local police
> forces. The targeted individual will remain unaware of the existence of the
> report and of its contents.

Sounds like Cuba's Committees for the defense of the revolution. They use the same justification the reactionaries use - it's needed to fight "terrorism" and threats to homeland security. We should consider attempting to infiltrate these and fill their reports with junk and misleading info.

-- Joe R. Golowka JoeG at ieee.org Anarchist FAQ - http://www.anarchyfaq.org

"If the Nuremberg laws were applied today, then every Post-War American president would have to be hanged." - Noam Chomsky