Tight-Lipped Old Hands

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Tue Jul 16 11:05:22 PDT 2002

At 09:38 AM 07/16/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>As a lawyer in a soon-to-be mega-firm, I will walk out
>the door before I stop helping people -- even though
>helping people isn't always the smart career play.

There is a difference between "middle class" and "working class" jobs in this respect. If you're working class, you're considered 100% expendible and easily replaceable. This is not empirical; it's ideological. If you're a "middle-class" professional, it is often taken as a sign of "power" that you're willing to help someone else; also, as a professional you're considered less replacable -- or at any rate, everyone knows your "learning curve" is the price they have to pay to replace your. For example, a technical writer (what I do) is seldom functional for a good three months after hire.

So, I commend your fellow feeling, but suggest that you and Chuck Grimes live in different social universes.

I put terms in quotation marks, because with respect to most things, we are all working class inasmuch as we must work to live.

Joanna B.