The Guardian: In Face of Corporate Corruption, Strange Silence from the Left

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Tue Jul 16 17:42:06 PDT 2002

>Imagine if you can a scandal -At 15/07/02 20:55 -0400, you wrote:
>This is article is right-on. I fear that the left isn't strong enough to
>sieze the opportunity presented by present crisis and "smite our undeniably
>vulnerable foes."
>CK
>
>Published on Monday, July 15, 2002 in the Guardian of London
>
>This Strange Silence From the Left
>Free Enterprise Flaunts Its Failings and Social Democrats Say Nothing
>
>by Roy Hattersley

Arguably Gordon Brown's comprehensive spending review, with an increae in the state sector and a web of corporate state regulations, plus a deliberate increase in the foreign aid budget as part of his competition for global leadership, was the counterploy.

To smite our undeniably vulnerable foes would require a moralistic attack. What the crisis of "corporate governance" in the US does is to raise the whole question of the regulation and monitoring of the highly complex structures of late capitalist economy.

How can the nominally private ownership of capitalism be maintained if its highest paid lackeys are capable so seriously of undermining conference?

Chris Burford

London