Paul Krugman: Would you?

Daniel Davies dsquared at al-islam.com
Wed Jul 17 01:25:03 PDT 2002

It is with great joy that I pass on this short extract from the "Savage Love" sex advice column this week:

I realize I'm too late for your " answering some personal questions " column, but if you could squeeze me in, I'd appreciate it. If you could have any three people alive today over for an intimate, leisurely, conversation-filled dinner party, whom would you invite? If you could have any three people alive today over for a wild sex party that would begin immediately after the dinner party, whom would you invite?

What I'm curious about--and I've put this question to all of my friends and most of my family--is if there's any overlap. Are you sexually attracted to the people you want to converse with? Or are these two groups distinct, separate, and unequal?

-Erotic Rights Over Sold

Dinner party: Paul Krugman, op-ed columnist for the New York Times ; Florence King, columnist for National Review ("Misanthrope's Corner"); and Katha Pollitt, columnist for The Nation ("Subject to Debate").

Sex party: Ashton Kutcher, star of That '70s Show ; Brian Standeford, lead singer of the Catheters; and Pontus Farnerud of the Swedish World Cup soccer team.

Okay, so there's not a lot of overlap, and I suppose that means I'm a desperately shallow person. In my defense, EROS, I would point out that Florence King and Katha Pollitt are both women , which disqualifies them from attending any sex party I might host. As for Paul Krugman, well, I've never actually laid eyes on the man. For all I know, Krugman is my type--skinny, tall, boyish, old enough to vote--but somehow I doubt there are many prize-winning economists out there who look like Ashton Kutcher. However, if Krugman does look like Kutcher, he's more than welcome to stick around after dinner.