Another Potential Turning Point Signal

Bradford DeLong jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu
Wed Jul 17 20:49:51 PDT 2002

This piece of spam from thestreet.com might well qualify as a signal that the bottom is near: when the attention-grabbing headline is not "9 stocks that will double in value" but "17 big-name stocks you MUST SELL now," bear-market psychology must be near its maximum possible value...

Brad DeLong

=================================

Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 15:58:54 -0400 From: thestreet at offers2.mail-thestreet.com To: delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU Subject: 17 Big-Name Stocks You MUST SELL now... Status:

Dear Investor,

Everythingís hunky-dory, right?

Alan Greenspan says the economy is "in recovery;" all the corporate big-wigs are rushing to claim, "Thereís nothing wrong with OUR books;" and many market pundits are once again urging you to buy "before the next run-up".

Donít do it. Donít get suckered this time around. Weíre not headed back to the glory days again just quite yet.

And if you buy the market...load up on big-name tech stocks just because theyíre cheap...or take Wall Streetís word at face value, be prepared to get CLOBBERED.

"XYZ company beat earnings estimates," the financial press will announce. And everyone will get excited and tout the stock. What a great buying opportunity, right?

WRONG! Thatís when I get really steamed by investment "gurus" who convince individual investors to put their money into stocks that are GOING NOWHERE FAST at best, and may actually be dangerously overpriced.

Most stocks are down 30%, 50%, 70% or more from their highs. WHY? SIMPLE...their profits have sunk like rocks in the middle of the ocean. And thereís no sign these companiesí profits are coming back soon.

Thatís why Iíve prepared a new special report "17 Big-Name Stocks You Must Sell Now". The entire list - plus my #1 stock to own for BIG profits - is available to you FREE. Click here now: https://investorplace.cwes01.com/ppifw/ppifw?pc=1UH320

You see, unlike most analysts or newsletter writers... Iím NOT afraid of the word SELL. I own stocks that have HOT EARNINGS. And I dump them as soon as I spot the first sign of trouble.

Readers of my "Blue Chip Growth Letter" have learned to take my "Sell" signals seriously:

I picked Lucent during its love affair with Wall Street. We banked 156% GAINS, before the stock plunged.

I caught on to EMCís mounting problems in storage, as more nimble competitors began to steal its thunder. We stole away with 466% GAINS.

I saw the earnings warning signs ahead of the economic downturn-and sold retailer Wal-Mart for 113% GAINS.

My readers banked 316% profits in Nokia, then another 196% GAIN in Vodafone Airtouch-before telecom tanked.

We owned Cisco when the Internet build-up was hot-and pocketed 209% GAINS in year 2000.

I even owned Enron-and Iím one of the few who admits it. After all, why shouldnít I? A December 12th, 2001 Forbes.com story praised me for SELLING Enron last April. In fact, we banked 36% GAINS. Not one of our biggest winners. But not bad when you consider the bath most investors took.

BUT sadly, most investors donít understand how the game is played. They were SHOCKED when Enron fell. Shocked when Global Crossing tanked. Shocked when JDS Uniphase imploded. And today, theyíre holding many more companies just like these-any one of which could be the next to PLUNGE virtually overnight:

Wow! How the mighty have fallen. This wireless company once ruled the roost-with a seemingly sky's-the-limit future. But today, its main competitor doesn't even consider it a threat anymore. Yet some guys are still touting the stock, like recovery is right around the corner. Don't touch it.

Will tech make a comeback? Sure-at some point. But donít load up on this has-been in anticipation of windfall profits. This is one of techís biggest names-and, by some accounts, one of the "safest stocks." But itís losing market share and bleeding red ink. Avoid it.

It's practically un-American to pan this stock. After all, it virtually created the market category it dominated for decades. But c'mon-who's kidding whom? First, swift overseas competitors stole much of its market share. And now that market is undergoing a total transformation. And these guys are asleep at the wheel. Dump it.

Those are just 3 of 17 big-name stocks exposed in your FREE online Sell Alert. Iím talking big risks...lousy fundamentals...and little hope for investing profits anytime soon. And Wall Street is littered with LANDMINES like these thatíll blow your portfolio sky-high if you go near them now.

At my "Blue Chip Growth Letter," we have no patience with troubled stocks that might come back "someday." We only own those companies that have strong-and growing-earnings right now. And nothing else.

Thatís how Iíve done business my entire career. And it has served me quite well. The aggressive advisory I started in the 1980s, MPT Review, has GAINED 2,899% in the last seventeen years, according to The Hulbert Financial Digest. And since I started my Blue Chip Growth Letter-suitable for all investors-in late 1997, our portfolio has BEATEN the S&P better than 2-to-1.