Daughter Is Sent to Jail

R rhisiart at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 18 04:16:24 PDT 2002

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/18/national/18JEB.html?todaysheadlines=&pagewanted=print&position=top

July 18, 2002 Daughter of Gov. Bush Is Sent to Jail in a Drug Case By DANA CANEDY

MIAMI, July 17 — Noelle Bush, the 24-year-old daughter of Gov. Jeb. Bush, was sent to Orange County jail in Orlando this afternoon after failing to meet conditions of a court-ordered rehabilitation plan stemming from her drug arrest in January.

Ms. Bush was charged with prescription fraud on Jan. 29 after she tried to obtain the anti-anxiety drug Xanax from a pharmacy in Tallahassee, the police said.

Governor Bush disclosed his daughter's rehabilitation lapse in a statement today, saying, "My family is saddened to share that our daughter Noelle has not abided by the conditions of her drug court treatment plan."

Judge Reginald Whitehead of Orange County Circuit found Ms. Bush in contempt of court and sent her to jail for 72 hours after staff members at her resident drug treatment center in Orlando discovered last week that she had prescription pills that a nurse said had been stolen from the center's medicine cabinet.

Ms. Bush said she had found the pills on the center's grounds. Center administrators said that was false.

continued -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20020718/3c4e0be7/attachment.htm>