Daughter Is Sent to Jail

Marco Anglesio mpa at the-wire.com
Thu Jul 18 08:14:02 PDT 2002

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Doug Henwood wrote:

> R wrote:
>
> >MIAMI, July 17 — Noelle Bush, the 24-year-old daughter of Gov. Jeb.
> >Bush, was sent to Orange County jail in Orlando this afternoon after
> >failing to meet conditions of a court-ordered rehabilitation plan
> >stemming from her drug arrest in January.
>
> Gosh, she's got a Xanax jones. For this she needs to go to jail? How
> many millions of Americans are on Prozac? What a wacko place this is.

It's not quite the same. Xanax is a benzodiazepine, or minor tranquilizer, where Prozac is an antidepressant. Xanax is also well known for having a very powerful and quick effect, which makes it a drug of choice for abuse. That's probably why she had it in the first place.

I'm not a big fan of drug laws, but if you were to chart drugs on a list of their potential harm to users I daresay that tranquilizers would be up there, possibly worse than alcohol. It's not a matter of charting the "strength" of a drug so much as its effect.

m.