Berlet in Pravda, Eurasianism

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Fri Jul 19 07:26:23 PDT 2002

Hi,

Hey Chris, read any Telos since its love affair with de Benoist? Some of us would read the praise from Dugin of the Evola/Spengler crowds, and read his other stuff, and say it is a recognizable version of the neofascist intellectual currents behind the European New Right--with just a dash of Eurasianist spice. Sure it is anti-Hitler and Anti-Mussolini, but most of the intellectual neofascists run that line.

This analysis is from Roger Griffin:

"===Indeed, in terms of activism the most vital fascist subcultures are now no longer in Europe. One is in the USA, where the fading of the American Dream has bred numerous pagan neo-Nazi groupings bent on purging the nation=s current degeneracy (e.g. Odinism), as well as bizarre hybrids of neo-Nazism with heterodox religious fanaticism in the Christian Identity movement (Kaplan, 1997). The other is in Russia, where the acute disillusionment which followed the collapse of State Communism triggered an explosion of exotic forms of fascist ultra-nationalism, including hybrids of fascism with communism (Gregor, 1999).==="

"===The postwar period has also seen the emergence of new "philosophical" rationalizations of palingenetic ultra-nationalism (Griffin, 1995). The most influential of these are the post-Nietzschean vision of a `conservative revolution' preached by De Benoist on behalf of the French New Right (to be distinguished from Anglo-American neo-liberalism) and Julius Evola's "Traditionalist" fusion of Hindu and occultist theories of the historical process, both of which have influenced the European New Right, which retains unmistakable traces of its fascist pedigree despite its refusal to leave the safe haven of "metapolitics". The "European New Right" (which has spawned a Russian version called "Eurasianism") is symptomatic of perhaps the most important development in the evolution of fascism away from its inter-war models, namely the increasing internationalization of fascism to produce various strains of Eurofascism and Universal Nazism.==="

See: http://www.brookes.ac.uk/schools/humanities/Roger/fasenc.html

-Chip

<<SNIP>>