dollar, euro, Russia

ChrisD(RJ) chrisd at russiajournal.com
Sat Jul 20 02:42:28 PDT 2002

ChrisD(RJ) wrote:

>What I find really ironic in teh contemporary economic world, by the by, is
>that capital is leaving the US, worried by corruption in the US economy,
and
>flooding into Russia, due to confidence in the increasing professionalism
in
>Russian business. This is too rich for words!

Hey, it's change at the margins that moves the markets! But is this perception of Russia wrong?

Doug -------

I would say it's largely true, though the picture's not as rosy as a lot of writers in the FT and so forth are making it out to be. A few months ago there was a Yeltsin-era-type fiasco over a takeover of Slavneft. There haven't been tales of massive asset-stripping or money-laundering for quite some time (speaking of which, Berezovsky is now under investigation by the French for an alleged money-laundering scheme).

Chris Doss The Russia Journal ----------------------------