390/4.87%

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Sat Jul 20 22:42:32 PDT 2002

>underestimates the seriousness of the present situation. I'm still
>holding to my analysis that we've entered a phrase of troubles for
>the U.S. economy - maybe something like Japan's seen over the last 10
>years (complicated by the fact that the U.S. is a net international
>debtor, while Japan remains a big creditor). Maybe I've been reading
>too much of the Elliott Wave Theorist.
>
>Where is the anti-globo crowd now? We need ideas and action!
>
>Doug

As Joanna said, August 14th is a numinous date. And I keep hearing that Iraq will be invaded before the Nov. elections, maybe as early as the middle of August. But I'm afraid I agree with you that the U.S. will likely enter a phase of troubles similar to Japan's.

As far as the nonreaction, maybe it has something to do with September 11th. I don't know. My head's still spinning from Greenspan's infectious greed coinage.

There's been some labor rustlings. The Teamsters did well against UPS, thanks in part to Carey's spadework. I have heard analogies to the winter of discontent in the current discussion of the UK.

Just experienced a double-header of Cornel West and the Breeders (at unrelated events) so I'm feeling pretty energized and positive. West brought up how Nader was right all along. Kim Deal brought up "whip-its" in her between-song banter and the band played the theme to Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Imperial Teen opened and were quite good.

Peter