Russia will react if NATO spreads to Baltics, military chief says

ChrisD(RJ) chrisd at russiajournal.com
Sun Jul 21 07:00:38 PDT 2002

Russia will react if NATO spreads to Baltics, military chief says AP Photo HEL101

HELSINKI, Finland (AP) - Russian Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov said Thursday his country would "react" if NATO builds bases in the three former Soviet Baltic republics that are hoping to join the alliance, and he did not rule out military measures.

"We would very much not like to carry out any military actions, but we cannot rule this out," Ivanov said, without elaborating.

"If NATO bases appear in the Baltics within 200 kilometers (120 miles) of the Russian border, of course, we must react," Ivanov added, but did not say how.

Ivanov spoke to reporters during a visit to Turku, 170 kilometers (100 miles) west of the capital, Helsinki, after meeting Finnish Defense Minister Jan-Erik Enestam.

He reiterated that Russia considers NATO expansion a mistake but said "each country has the right to determine which military blocs to take part in."

The Baltic countries, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia, have made joining NATO a priority since they regained independence in 1991 after five decades of Soviet occupation. They are widely expected to be invited to join the alliance at a summit in November in the Czech capital of Prague.

Ivanov said his country did not aim to become a NATO member, "just as NATO is not aiming for Russia to join it."

Russia opposes the eastward expansion of its former Cold War enemy toward its borders, which it sees as a security threat, but has softened its rhetoric and strengthened cooperation agreements with NATO in recent months.

Later Thursday, Ivanov dined with President Tarja Halonen. On Friday, he was scheduled to tour military installations and meet with Foreign Minister Erkki Tuomioja, before returning to Moscow.