"the only Asian I know"

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Jul 21 08:11:30 PDT 2002

>More than the gossipy talk about morning blowjobs, what I found
>astounding in Katha Pollitt's excellent New Yorker piece was this
>passage:
>
>" 'Do you think I'm a weird Asian, Kahta?' Ben asks me. 'Not at
>all,' I say firmly, although how could I tell? Ben is the only Asian
>I know. "
>
>The only Asian she knows? She's a 52-year-old leftist intellectual
>who lives in New York City. How could she not know any other Asians?
>Is my conception of the left intellectual scene here completely off,
>or are there just not many Asians around?
>
>Francis

"Census 2000 showed that, of all places in the United States with 100,000 or more population, New York had the largest Asian population with 872,777, followed by Los Angeles with 407,444"; those who identified themselves only as Asian are about 9.8% of the population of New York City; including those whose self-identification is Asian in combination with other identities makes the proportion of Asians 10.9% (for more info, see "The Asian Population: 2000," February 2002, <http://www.census.gov/prod/2002pubs/c2kbr01-16.pdf>). -- Yoshie