The Guardian: In Face of Corporate Corruption, Strange Silence from the Left

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Mon Jul 22 00:49:36 PDT 2002

At 17/07/02 12:31 -0400, you wrote:
>Chris Kromm wrote:
>
>>This is article is right-on. I fear that the left isn't strong enough to
>>sieze the opportunity presented by present crisis and "smite our undeniably
>>vulnerable foes."
>
>Yup, but isn't this time drippingly rich with possibility? The bourgeoisie
>fucked up bigtime, and lots of people - including many of the bourgies -
>know it. Opportunities like this don't come often. I'm feeling energized.
>
>Doug

I agree. Leftists should not welcome the burden getting placed on working people, and infact should argue for a fight back against this - but there are a number of opportunities to attack the weakness of the system as a coherent way of organising the means of production, and its managers. We should be calling among many other things, for a strengthened audit of companies that is social, and environmental as well as economic and financial, and could be held transparently every six months and not every year.

That would start to transform the question of who owns the means of production.

Chris Burford

London