"the only Asian I know"

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Mon Jul 22 04:59:55 PDT 2002

kjkhoo at softhome.net:
> Surely it doesn't have to be Chinatown only -- that's almost
> pathetically stereotypical.
>
> But just take another stereotype -- Upper Westside, around Columbia
> area; around NYU area -- it'd be almost impossible not to have run
> into any Asians, whether taken broadly or more narrowly as those of E
> Asian descent.

I don't see very many persons of visibly Asian descent in the public parks, museums, concerts of the sort I'm likely to attend (except Indian classical music), or on the streets generally except in the enclaves (e.g. Koreans in and around West 32d Street). I suppose this is some sort of cultural phenomenon, maybe a complex one.

-- Gordon