Jesse builds his legacy

/ dave / arouet at winternet.com
Tue Jul 23 02:05:08 PDT 2002

In book, Ventura tells it like it is -- to kids

Dane Smith Star Tribune

Published Jul 23, 2002

Gov. Jesse Ventura's third book, a 64-page, colorfully illustrated civics textbook aimed at young readers, offers pieces of his mind like these about his career and political philosophy:

- "Whenever I meet with kids, I always say, question the status quo, whether it be their teacher or whoever. . . . Apathy is our biggest problem. I keep telling kids, you've gotta start voting."

- "I didn't run for office [for mayor of Brooklyn Park in 1990] because I wanted to be the boss of everything, but because I got angry with the politicians who controlled my town."

- "The Society for the Preservation of Ice Cream and the No More Homework Coalition are not real groups, at least not yet. . . . These groups, from the silly to the serious, are called special-interest groups, because they are very focused on one cause."

The Star Tribune obtained an advance copy of the $15.95 hardcover book, titled: "Jesse Ventura Tells It Like It Is: America's Most Outspoken Governor Speaks Out About Government." A first printing of 10,000 copies already has been sold in advance, said Beth Heiss, director of marketing for the Minneapolis-based Lerner Publishing Group.

Almost all of the text is written in the first person.

There are pictures of Ventura crushing another pro wrestler against the ropes during his career as "Jesse the Body" and of him in a black bandana presiding over the Brooklyn Park City Council. He briefly recounts how he rose from professional wrestling to a "loud, tell-it-like-it-is radio talk show host with opinions on everything" to governor of Minnesota.

Ventura inveighs, rather gently in comparison to his speeches for adults, against the political establishment. About typical large-party politicians, he says: "I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts, five of every six days are spent on political fundraising."

But much of the book is a nuts-and-bolts primer on government and politics. There are takeouts on the Bill of Rights, on political parties ("I'm free to act like a Republican when I think it makes sense to and to act like a Democrat when it makes sense"), and the electoral college ("If the process sounds confusing, that's because it is").

The book's ghost author is Hern Mrquez Estrada, a Star Tribune reporter. Marquez, who also has written a book for children about President Bush, said he spent "several hours with [Ventura], but a lot of it had to do with research" on government and politics.

Ventura spokesman John Wodele said proceeds from the book sales will go to charities designated by Ventura.

"It'll be a very welcome addition to to students' reading, if they're at all interested in government," Wodele said. "I'm not sure there's anything on the market like it right now."

Heiss, of Lerner Publishing, said the book should be popular, even though Ventura is not running for reelection, because "it makes government accessible to kids. You take a subject not interesting to kids, and you add Jesse to it."

Many copies are likely to be bought by schools, she said. The book's official release will be sometime next month, she added, but because of Ventura's recent illness, no specific plans have been made for its promotion.

--

/ dave /