obesity in America: who cares?

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Wed Jul 24 13:27:37 PDT 2002

>Children targeted by a school-based exercise and
>nutrition program are more likely to be physically
>active and receive healthy meals at school, which in
>turn may reduce the kids' risk of obesity, Type 2
>diabetes and heart disease, according to new research.
>The study, published in the August issue of Health
>Education & Behavior, examines a school program called
>CATCH in the U.S.-Mexico border city of El Paso,
>Texas, in an area where low-income families and
>Mexican cultural influences are both dominant.

Undoubtly so, but in LA vending machines are allowed on public high school campuses and the machines are stocked with candy bars, chips, basically sugar and carbohydrates which is the worst thing for kids to eat. In my high school days one could not find a corporate vending machine on the grounds. Now there are dozens. marta --