obesity in America: who cares?

Charles Jannuzi b_rieux at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 25 00:27:39 PDT 2002

Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 16:32:34 -0400 From: Matthew Snyder <matthew at pobox.com> Subject: Re: obesity in America: who cares? Marta Russell writes:
> Undoubtly so, but in LA vending machines are
allowed on public high
> school campuses and the machines are stocked

with candy bars, chips,

> basically sugar and carbohydrates which is the

worst thing for kids
> to eat.

>>It's not the carbohydrates themselves that are
the problem, it's the fact that they're usually processed and not complex. Complex carbohydrates make for excellent snacks, both nutritionally and in terms of their effects on blood sugar levels.<<

This last assumption is also now being challenged in the research on what diet is best for human beings. One hates to quibble over semantics, but it's usually not clear what people mean when they say 'complex' carbohydrates. I agree that carbo foods NOT stripped of all vitamins, minerals and fiber are better than all the processed carbs people in the developed world get too much of, but they are still not what humans thrive on.

Humans need protein and fat to survive, and fat plays an important role in many body processes--including making your food easier on your digestive tract (compare whole milk and the ravages of lowfat on your gut if you are lactose intolerant).

Seriously, just try it for a couple of weeks, if you can (since it's so hard to do, so geared to carbohydrates is the modern diet). Eat protein and some fat, and stay away from carbs of the most typical sorts and see how much weight you lose--and how much muscle you gain if you exercise even moderately. I'm now comfortable in my 32 inch waist jeans and going for 30! Just avoid carbs for even ONE meal a day, and you'll lose weight. Guaranteed.

Let me chirp a bit about exercise, too. When I was in school in the US, PE class was a complete waste of time. If we had put those PE periods wasted trying to play team sports we couldn't play with a fitness program that consisted ONLY of fast walking, we all would have been trained to be fit for life.

CJ