Wall Street political analysis

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jul 25 08:17:46 PDT 2002

Wall Street's favorite economist, Ed "Newsboy" Hyman (as my late friend John Liscio dubbed him, because of his practice of pasting headlines onto a page and scribbling a comment in the margins) has two analysts based in DC to report on government actions that might affect the markets. Here's a gem from this morning's report, a comment on whether new laws or regulations will help or hurt the market:

>Maybe the key is the direction of the
>market - in a downtrend, government
>actions are seen as positive, but when
>the market trends back up, reform
>efforts will be seen as over-regulation.

In other words, rescue us when we fuck up, but leave us alone otherwise.

Doug