Robert Rubin, invisible man

Nomiprins at aol.com Nomiprins at aol.com
Thu Jul 25 11:05:17 PDT 2002

In a message dated 7/25/2002 2:02:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time, dhenwood at panix.com writes:

> Yeah, why blame Rubin for something that isn't his fault when you can
> blame him for the drive to liberalize cross-border financial flows,
> which did some real damage in Asia a few years ago. Oh, I forgot, the
> Asia crisis was caused by crony capitalism - they hadn't yet achieved
> U.S. levels of transparency!

Rubin was the reason Citi could merge with Salomon before Glass-Steagall repeal - which allowed key investment banking clients of Salomon's (like Enron) benefit from using Citi's balance sheet for receiving loans. Even, if he physically wasn't there when the contracts were signed, he was certainly there in spirit.

Nomi -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20020725/90e0934f/attachment.htm>