Halle responds

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jul 25 13:19:35 PDT 2002

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 16:04:10 -0400 To: dhenwood at panix.com From: John Halle <john.halle at SNET.Net> Subject: Re: Sifry on the Greens: offered red meat, the opt for tofu

Re: Doug and Wotjek's slurs

It may be true that Cameho's speech was a dud. More importantly, Sifry is probably right that the Greens are not in a position to run candidates who can take advantage of the scandals on the national level. That we are not is, in part, a predictable consequence of alleged leftists failing to involve themselves in helping build and give direction to the Green organization since the Nader campaign. I first made the suggestion that contributors to this list do precisely that two years ago and it fell on deaf ears. Had a tiny fraction of leftist masturbatory energies been devoted into organizing within the Green Party we would by now have viable candidates and campaigns.

While latte leftists might make themselves feel better calling us wimps or petit bourgeois (from suburban Baltimore and the upper west side), or for that matter, discussing impenetrable pomo texts, posting to marxist listserves, or penning articles for the Nation you know as well as I do that all this has precisely zero political impact.

As dysfunctional as we are, it's you, not us, that is the core of problem.

John Halle Green Party Alderman Ward 9 New Haven, CT --