Znet "Disability Rights Watch"

Alec Ramsdell aramsdell at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 25 15:37:46 PDT 2002

Michael Pollak wrote:

> Now that I think of it, there's a
> half-way house on my block for people with mental
> and emotional
> disabilities, so almost every time I go out I walk
> by a dozen people who
> are disabled. But I never think of them as disabled
> so they didn't come
> to mind without a half hour's reflection. Is this a
> bad thing, not
> thinking of them as disabled? And is there a social
> solidarity between
> the physically and mentally disabled that mirrors
> their statistical unity?

The issue before last of Adbusters dealt somewhat with the question of mental disability solidarity (apart from the physically disabled) as a new phenomenon: the theme was "Mad Pride." It doesn't look like it's on the net, but it still might be on some shelves. It was interesting, becuase the issue juxtaposed a dubious lingering glamour of the mad and a wiff of commodification with the real potential of such solidarity.

Alec