Sifry on the Greens: offered red meat, the opt for tofu

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jul 25 16:21:53 PDT 2002

Luke Weiger wrote:

>College Greens generally seem to be pretty radical.

Sure. I'm talking about candidates and operatives. They have an inordinate fondness for The Small. The party platform <http://www.greenpartyus.org/documents/platform_2000.pdf> is full of that stuff, as well as being an undisciplined document with no sense of vision, priority, or strategy. Not all Greens are like that. Rahul Mahajan, who's running for gov of Texas of all things, is great. Rahul says he's for a hard-headed leftism; the Greens need more heads like his.

As for John Halle's complaint that I should be out there organizing Greens, well, sorry, I'm pretty busy and I don't have time to do that. And the already-existing Green party - or parties, how many are there, anyway? - looks jumbled and uninspiring. I think Nathan is right that if the Greens ever got 5% and public funding, they'd be taken over by Fulani or some such with more sophisticated notions of organization.

Doug