Znet "Disability Rights Watch"

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Jul 25 21:18:16 PDT 2002

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, Marta Russell wrote:

> It is ableistic IMHO to think that seeing someone as "disabled" is a
> negative, an insult, or a "bad" thing.

Everyone agrees with that Marta. That question is whether I'm going something wrong if I don't think of mentally disabled people as being disabled.

I guess from your social perspective you'd say yes because a disabled person is fundamentally defined as someone whose crucial needs to navigate society are being ill met and that it's society's fault and that by not grouping all these different disablements together I'm individualizing what is really a social problem. And that grouping them all together is the first step towards being able to perceive that.

Michael