Znet "Disability Rights Watch"

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Jul 25 15:57:14 PDT 2002

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> That is not necessarily the point I wanted to make. I argued that the
> US has more "special programs" for the disabled, including those aimed
> to improve their mobility, than most other countries (nut just backward
> Bulgaria). But what this country lacks is public services (which are
> often confused here with "welfare" and servicing marginalised elements
> of society) - which makes transportation difficult for anyone who is
> unwilling or unable to drive.

Actually that isn't at all true in New York, site of the original visibility question. Our transportation system may still be difficult for the disabled, kneeling buses or no. But it's no problem at all for people who are unwilling or unable to drive. And you can get most of what you need to buy by walking.

So here at least, this wouldn't explain it.

Michael