Primakov on Russia-US (and other stuff)

ChrisD(RJ) chrisd at russiajournal.com
Fri Jul 26 07:06:43 PDT 2002

INTERVIEW WITH COMMERCE AND INDUSTRY CHAMBER PRESIDENT

YEVGENY PRIMAKOV ON RF FOREIGN POLICY

[NOCHNOYE VREMYA ORT NEWS PROGRAM, 24:00, JULY 23, 2002] SOURCE: FEDERAL NEWS SERVICE (http://www.fednews.ru/)

Anchor: Yevgeny Maximovich, the relations with the United States after a fairly long period of cooling -- suffice it to recall your famous U-turn over the Atlantic -- are on the rise. At the same time some experts think that the peak in these relations is already behind us. What is your point of view?

Primakov: I wouldn't measure everything in terms of falls, rises, peaks and so on. I think that we are reaching a level relationship with the United States. These relations will strengthen though of course that depends in many ways on the United States. I think we are very much interested to see our relations with the United States develop. And that is right because the United States is currently waging an anti-terrorist war, or implementing an anti-terrorist operation in Afghanistan and we have supported them. That was absolutely right.

Q: The foreign policy successes Russia has achieved in the past few months -- we have joined the NATO twenty, we have signed a treaty with the United States on cutting strategic offensive potentials and Russia has after all been recognized as a market economy. That too is a big plus and a big achievement. What we have achieved in recent times would have taken years previously. How do you account for it? Do you put it down to the September 11 phenomenon?

A: To some extent, yes. But you say that in former times it would have taken years. But during these years a considerable potential has built up on the basis of which progress could be made now and all this could have been achieved.

I would like to draw the attention of our audience to what has been accomplished in three areas. You have mentioned the signing of the treaty. I'd like to say that this was not a treaty that suited us in every way. Nevertheless, we have signed it and I think we have scored a success there. Why? Because one should look at developments in context. And how did events develop? As you know the United States withdrew from the ABM Treaty. And it ten stated its position on strategic offensive arms reductions. That position was as follows: we don't want any limitations, we don't want any verifications, we don't want any binding documents. We just want to do it whenever we want and in the form that we like without any outside interference.

If that position had prevailed it would have created a very bad situation. It would have canceled out many of the successes achieved in the past. Because the United States would have entirely embarked on the path of independent decisions made single-handed regardless of public opinion and sentiments, regardless of the world community as a whole and so on. By signing the treaty we have managed to dislodge the United States from that position. They have signed a binding document and I think Russia claims much credit for that and I think that the whole world is aware of this.

Or take another example. You have spoken about the creation of the "committee at twenty." But let us look at this issue in context. And the context is as follows. As soon as the Bush administration came to power in the United States the United States wanted to consolidate its position of ignoring the United Nations and supporting so-called "humanitarian interventions." At present the whole meaning of the "twenty" is that there should be decisions taken by consensus with Russian participation on operations NATO would carry out outside its zone if such operations are carried out. And in this context it is clear that Russia acquires some sort of right, if not exactly the right of veto -- but perhaps even of veto. But in any case Russia acquires a degree of influence on the situation.

And this has the consent of Western states, I mean West European states because they too are not happy about the United States making all decisions by itself.

And in this connection I would also like to mention what I consider to be also a very important aspect of the issue. We have already said that the United States has established a military presence in Central Asian countries. This has been prompted by the needs of the operation in Afghanistan. But will they leave Asia nor not? Will they leave Central Asia? Will they leave the former republics of the Soviet Union where there are American bases at present? That is by no mean a rhetorical question, it is rather a historical question.

We did the right thing in helping the united States to get these military opportunities there. It was necessary for the military operation. And anyway I am sure that even without us Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzia would have lent these bases and these opportunities to the United States.

Q: What to do now?