Three Strikes

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Jul 26 07:56:27 PDT 2002

At 06:37 AM 7/26/2002 -0700, Kevin quoted:
>University of Alabama at Birmingham
>26-Jul-02
>

>Three Strikes Law Spikes Homicide Rate
>
>effects of the laws." They found that cities in states
>with three strikes laws experienced a 13 to 14 percent
>increase in homicide rates after implementing the
>laws. "Criminals perceive that they will get the same
>punishment for murder as they would for having a third
>strike," says UAB criminologist and study co-author
>John Sloan, Ph.D. "So they may try to kill victims or
>police officers to avoid detection." The study's
>authors say these findings are a prime example of
>unintended negative consequences derived directly from
>legislative policy.

This is a prime example of researchers drawing conclusions beyond the scope of their data. To demonstrate what motivates criminals, one needs to collect data on their thought process (e.g. interviews). All they seemingly have, however, is the "before" and "after" homicide rates (I wonder if they compared that increase to changes in regions that did not implement the said laws?) which can be explained by a myriad of alternative factors (e.g. changes in demographic composition or the economy).

wojtek